Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Accident Attorney in Austin
Research showed that 14% of all Texas motorists were uninsured in 2015, founded in a 2017 study conducted by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). When an accident occurs with an uninsured driver who is at fault, insured drivers or their insurance companies are forced into paying for the resulting damages and medical care. Similarly, an underinsured driver may not have adequate coverage to compensate high costs of damage. Unfortunately, insurers will do everything in their power to deny your claim or offer you the lowest possible amount.
If you or a loved one have found themselves in this difficult situation, speaking to an uninsured/underinsured motorist accident attorney with experience handling these types of claims can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose the Bonilla Law Firm PLLC?
- We will conduct a thorough investigation and diligently work on your case until the end.
- Our attorneys draw on decades of litigation experience to successfully secure compensation for personal injury victims.
- We work effectively in search of the most optimal means of obtaining the best possible results.
- We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we never charge a fee unless we recover money on your behalf.
How to Protect Yourself
All insurance companies in Texas are required to offer Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, but policyholders have the option of rejecting this line of coverage. You should check with your insurance company if you are unsure on whether or not you have this type of coverage. Reconsider instating if you did reject it, as it will protect you from unnecessary additional stress when involved in an accident.
What To Do After You’re Hit by an Uninsured Driver
- Call the police. Regardless of if the other person has insurance or not, it’s always a good idea to call the police after an accident. If the at-fault driver is uninsured, you will have the police report stating that fact, and it will help make the claims process smoother.
- Go through your insurance. The other driver could face hefty fines and fees for not having insurance so they may try to offer you money in order to avoid legal repercussions. There’s no way to tell the extent of your injuries and damage, accepting money may mean you end up paying in the end.\
- Exchange information. You will need their contact information, even though they aren’t insured. Also ask any eye witnesses how to get in contact with them, as their statements can prove beneficial during the claims process.
- Gather details. Write down the make and model of the vehicle involved, time and location of the accident, the direction you were traveling, weather conditions, what happened right before the accident, traffic and road conditions at the time, and the name and badge number of the responding officer.
- Take pictures. Capture any damage done to your vehicle and the other car, the other driver’s license plate, traffic signs and the direction each vehicle was traveling.
- Notify your insurer. File a claim as soon as possible, as most insurance companies have a strict time limit on when you may file an underinsured or uninsured motorist claim.
How an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Attorney Can Benefit You
If your insurance company has acted in “bad faith,” a term used to describe any tactics an insurance company uses to avoid paying on a claim, then a seasoned accident attorney who has experience dealing with difficult insurance agents can help. Your insurer may do the following things, among others:
- Refuse to pay on your claim
- Unnecessarily delay your claim
- Fail to pay in a timely manner
- Require an unnecessary amount of paperwork to process your claim
- Deny your claim within an unreasonable time-frame
- Fail to provide adequate reasoning for denying your claim
Car accident victims should not be subjected to the added stress of dealing with insurance company tactics. Hiring a skilled Austin uninsured/underinsured motorist accident attorney will benefit you by allowing you to avoid the range of complicated matters that arise in your claim.
Contact the Bonilla Law Firm PLLC
We have over 30 years of experience dealing with insurance companies for uninsured/underinsured motorist accident victims. Our team of qualified attorneys will protect your interests and ensure that you are compensated for damages. Call us today, we offer free, no obligation case evaluations.